The sensational Miho’s Jazz Orchestra plays a unique blend of world music and jazz. Flute and sax player Miho Wada seamlessly fuses her distinctive Pan-Pacific style with Afro-Cuban flute, Japanese pop and irresistible grooves.
Miho has studied flute in Cuba, London (Trinity College of Music) and New Zealand (University of Canterbury) and performed with artists such as Sierra Maestera, Iggy Pop, Nigel Kennedy, Jarvis Cocker, Ska Cubano and members of the Buena Vista Social Club.
Described as one of the most entertaining jazz acts in New Zealand, Wada’s infectious positivity leaves audiences uplifted and makes the band no stranger to top 10 chart success.
Formed in 2011 as a one off recording project to help raise funds for the Christchurch earthquakes, the band ended up having so much fun they decided to continue performing and making music. MJO has released 8 albums and 3 EPs and have toured and performed in NZ, Australia, Japan and the USA.
- “Miho Wada is the next generation of jazz” Critical Jazz, U.S.A.
- “Fearless, passionate and exploratory” – Northern Sky Magazine, U.K.
- “A live music marvel”– TimeOut, The New Zealand Herald
MJO’s line-up remains unchanged since their stunning, sold-out performance at the Jazz in Martinborough 2018 festival.
- Miho Wada – flute & alto sax
- Pascal Roggen – violin
- Drew Hutchinson – guitars
- Sung-Jin Hong – bass guitar
- Jared Desvaux de Marigny – drums
Listen to samples of tracks from Miho’s latest album: