The Wellington City Shake-’Em-On-Downers are a Martinborough legend, having been a headline act for three of our Jazz in Martinborough festivals.
They are Wellington’s most swinging septet who deliver energetic and iconoclastic interpretations of vintage jazz classics and deliver the most scintillating swing, the most dapper Dixieland and the nastiest ole New Orleans sound to be found outside of a speakeasy. As well as standards from the New Orleans and swing songbook, they also perform raging new compositions inspired by the era.
This debonair seven-piece is made up of prolific NZSM graduates:
- Hikurangi Schaverien-Kaa (drums)
- Phoebe Johnson (double bass and vocals)
- Louis Thompson-Munn (piano and vocals)
- Aleister Campbell (guitar and vocals)
- Oscar Laven (saxophone, clarinet and vocals)
- Michael Taylor (trumpet and vocals)
- Kaito Walley (Trombone).
(nb. Tickets do not include dinner reservations. Please call The Village Café 06 306 8814 to make a dinner booking).